Why we should be more like Elisabeth Elliot

Hello my friends!

I haven’t been able to post in a while, but I’ve really missed sharing my ideas and thoughts with you all! ❤ You may not know this, but I am a senior in high school this year. I’ve been struggling with what I want to do after graduating. Ultimately, I desire to find a husband and live a godly life with him as a wife and mother. Yet, the world out there seems so big and scary. 🙂 What if God doesn’t bring that man into my life for a while? I want to have a plan on how to live a godly and successful life until then. As Christians, I believe we are called to be wise with our current time and resources.  During this soul searching, I really started thinking about who I admire and why. What truly makes a successful person? If I could be compared to anyone, who would I want it to be?

Ever since I was a little girl, my parents shared with me no small amount of courageous  and godly Christians, both men and women. Yet, one lady stood out. From watching the Torchlighter film on Jim and Elisabeth Elliot to pouring over my parent’s Christmas gift of Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot, I have been astonished at her godly character and legacy.

Elisabeth Elliot portrait
Photo credits: http://www.wholemagazine.org/posts/2015/remembering-elisabeth-elliot

Elisabeth Elliot, a Christian author and speaker, demonstrated true compassion, forgiveness, love, and wisdom. Her first husband, Jim Elliot, was one of the five missionaries speared to death by the Huaorani Indians in Ecuador during 1956. Afterwards, Elisabeth immortalized that moment with three books — Through Gates of SplendorShadow of the Almighty, and The Savage My Kinsman — and shared her wisdom for the cause of Christian missions and Christian womanhood in numerous books, hundreds of newsletters, and forty years of conference speaking.

Elisabeth was born to missionary parents in Brussels, Belgium. Shortly after her birth, her family moved to Pennsylvania and then New Jersey where her parents faithfully taught her what a life serving others should mean. After graduating from Wheaton College, Elisabeth surrendered to missionary service in Ecuador. In 1953, she married a former Wheaton College classmate, Jim Elliot.

As you all likely know, Jim was murdered in 1956 as a missionary to the Auca in Ecuador. Yet this did not cause Elisabeth to grow bitter towards God and the Auca tribe. Even though she had a daughter just ten months old, Elisabeth continued as a missionary first to the Quichua; and then for two years, she served as a missionary to the same Auca tribe members who murdered her husband. Sacrifice, suffering, and forgiveness were woven through her ministry with these both of the tribes as well as her numerous books.

On top of that, Elisabeth Elliot is a role model of wisdom. She has written more than 30 books, held a thirteen year radio program, and spoke at numerous churches and conferences. Even though Elisabeth lived through tumultuous seasons of life, she focused on the big picture always returning to the unchanging principles of the Holy Bible and never deviated from their Divine truth and power.

As Christian young ladies, what should we learn from Elisabeth Elliot’s incredible life?

First, like Elisabeth championed, we should seek to return to biblical femininity. In a world in which femininity is weak and self-promoting, Christian ladies must stand bold in biblical truth. God-given differentiation between the sexes should not be abolished but celebrated. Our inequalities are seen as essential to the image of God, for it is in male and female, not as two identical or interchangeable halves, that God created humans. Elisabeth wrote, To me, a lady is not frilly, flouncy, flippant, frivolous and fluff-brained, but she is gentle, she is gracious, she is godly and she is giving. You and I have the gift of femininity… the more womanly we are, the more manly men will be and the more God is glorified. Be women, be only women, be real women in obedience to God.”

Second, our lives should be filled with sacrificial love. January 8th, 1956. That is the devastating day that the Aucas killed Elisabeth’s husband and four other missionaries. I am sure that this searing loss must have been heart-rending. I lost my grandfather two years ago, and I can just imagine Elisabeth’s pain at loosing her husband after just three years. Yet, Elisabeth later said, “I prayed what seemed to be a rather ridiculous prayer at the time. I said, ‘Lord if there is anything you want me to do about the Aucas here I am, do whatever you want with me.'” This sacrificial prayer shows a heart that was fully surrendered to Christ — one who was living for His glory, rather than personal comfort, pleasure, or enjoyment. Elisabeth wisely said, “There is nothing worth living for, unless it is worth dying for.” She knew that the gospel, for which her husband had died and for which she easily could have also died, must be shared to the lost Aucas. Elisabeth showed the tribe the same humility and sacrificial love that Christ showed in Philippians 2:5-7, coming to serve those who had sinned against her.

Third, we should always stand for the truth. If you have ever listened to or read Elisabeth Elliot, you have probably noticed that she did not beat around the bush. But rather than being harsh, her words were filled with the love of Jesus. In fact, it was this love for the Lord and  others that motivated her to always share the truth. Her life was dedicated to seeing others come to the knowledge of the truth so that God might be glorified in and through many lives.

Personally, Elisabeth has inspired me to be courageous, forgiving, humble, and remain focused on God. Life can be hard; yet, through Christ, Elisabeth became stronger in her struggles. While I may not know what I want to do after graduating, God does love his children. His timing may not be my timing and His plans may not be my plans; but, God knows the best for us. Like Elisabeth, we must rely on God’s strength and love.

“The will of God is never exactly what you expect it to be. It may seem to be much worse, but in the end it’s going to be a lot better and a lot bigger.” –Elisabeth Elliot

Have you all read any books by Elisabeth Elliot? If so, which ones are your favorite?

I love Passion and Purity, which accounts her relationship with Jim. It presents a beautiful picture of godly love, purity, and faithfulness.

Who is your role model?

Thanks for reading! Have a great week!

Julianne K. 💕

17 thoughts on “Why we should be more like Elisabeth Elliot

1. Summer G. says:

Julianne, THANK YOU! This was an absolutely wonderful post and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It gave me some things to think about and was an encouragement. I actually haven’t read any books by her because I’ve never thought about it but they are definitely now on the list. (That seems to get longer every day but I am not complaining I LOVE adding new books to read even if I have an unrealistic list already LOL) I’ve always admired everything I’ve learned and heard about Mrs.Elizabeth Elliot but now I think of her as a lady to look up to and try to be like. What a Godly example she set. One time I had the opportunity to go to a ladies conference my Mom was speaking at and it was all about ladies we should look up to and the women of faith. The main lady they emphasized was Elizabeth Elliot and I remember learning so many amazing things she did not only as a missionary but also as a mother and homemaker. Isn’t it incredible how God gave us these precious examples to learn from?! Again, thank you, for writing this!<3

Liked by 3 people

2. Julianne K. says:

Thank you so much, Summer! 💕 Elisabeth’s books are incredible, and I’d definitely recommend them! My book list is always growing too! 🙂 There are so many books about there that I need to read! 😀 That is so cool that you got to go to a conference where they talked about her! Elisabeth has impacted so many people, and rightly so. She’s an incredible woman! I actually was hoping to get to hear her speak at a conference before she died, but sadly I was not able to. But even so, she has left her legacy is numerous ways!

Liked by 1 person

3. Heaven says:

Wow, great post, Julianne!! I really enjoyed it. 🙂 Elisabeth Elliot sounds like she was a wonderful and godly women. I’m definietly going to have to check some of our books out. I think she a great role model for Christian young ladies to become godly women!

Liked by 1 person

• Julianne K. says:

Thanks for reading and commenting!!! I’m glad you enjoyed this post! Elisabeth is truly and incredible woman. And I’m really glad to hear that you plan to check out her books. They are so full of wisdom! 💕

Liked by 1 person

4. Annie says:

Julianne,
    I loved this post. It took me a while to comment, but I read it several times. It was so good! 😊 Thank you for pouring your heart out in this post and writing for Christ, encouraging other girls who are in a similar stage in life.

I completely understand your feelings about graduating. I’ve had similar feelings and thoughts over the past few months, even though I am two years younger than you! God has been teaching me through several passages in Scripture, showing me that He has my life perfectly planned, and I can trust Him. ❤️ Even when it is HARD! I will be praying for you, too, as I know this is a hard stage in life. God has your life perfectly planned!!

I definitely agree that Elisabeth Elliot was a Godly woman for Christ, who strive to serve others. I am currently reading, “Keep a Quiet Heart” and it is SOO good! I should check out “Passion and Purity.” It sounds very good!

Hm. I’d say the role models in my life have (so far) been my Mom, Lillian Trasher (learned about her in a class about missionaries), Katie Davis, and many others!

Again, thank you for writing this post!

Annie aka Anna 😊

Liked by 1 person

5. Julianne K. says:

Hello Annie! Thank you so much for your comment and kind words!💕 I really am glad that you are encouraged by this!
    That is very wise of you to get a head start in thinking about these things. It is a big decision, and you sound like you are using your time wisely to prepare! Thank you so much, I would really appreciate prayer! My mom and another amazing lady have been encouraging me greatly. And one thing they say, I think you will also find encouraging. As long as we continue to seek the Lord, He will bless us no matter what we decide to do after graduating. I think that helps put everything more into proper perspective. Do you have a specific favorite verse that has been helping you during this time? One of my favorite verses is ​”And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” – Philippians 1:6. I really love how you were saying, God does love us, and He has our life perfectly planned. ❤
    I’m so glad that you have been reading an Elisabeth Elliot book! I saw “Keep a Quiet Heart” on my mom’s bookshelf recently, and I really want to read it! Are you enjoying it? Those are also great role models! I’ve been wanting to read about Katie Davis. I’ve heard a lot of really good things about her! I hope you have a great week, Annie! 😘

6. whatdinnywore says:

What a great post, Julianne! I love that you have such a godly vision for what you want in the future. I have the same desires, but am still waiting on God to provide a man. 😉 For now, keep pouring yourself into serving God and others. Develop skills, and pray that God will open doors for you to invest these years of singleness in His service. You will never regret any time you spend serving Him and growing closer to Him!
    Personally, one of my role models has been a young pastor’s wife. She is always so joyful, hardworking, and loving. When she talks to you, she makes you feel like you’re the only person in the whole world. And, when she sings, her whole face is alight with love for the Lord. I pray that God will help me follow her godly example. 🙂
    Keep up the great posts, and may God bless and answer the desires of your heart!
    love in Christ,
    Claudine

Liked by 2 people

• Julianne K. says:

Thank you so much, Claudine! I really appreciate your encouragement here! You are absolutely right in that God will bless us in we spend our lives serving Him. This is also a good time for us to learn patience. 🙂 We often want an answer before God sees fits to give it. He is really training us to wait on Him and His will.
      That young lady sounds like a great role model! It’s amazing when God puts those people into our paths. (Just like how He gave us parents to look up to). Also, good for you in noticing the uniqueness in this lady and desiring to emulate her. Sometimes, when we see these people in real life, it is overwhelming and we think that we can never be like them. But it sounds like you are on a great path for emulating her!
      Thank you so much! And may God do so for you as well! 😘